Sunday, May 20, 2007

Exciting? Creative?

So, over the course of the past year I have found myself at a crossroads. Of course, I have had some life-changing experiences (buying a home, having a baby), but one thing always seemed to remain the same. I've always wanted to be a teacher- until now. It could be that I'm just getting burned out on school; I've been going for five years and have yet to earn a degree (I place the blame entirely on the requirement for math credits no matter what degree you are seeking. I hate math, I failed three times before I finally got the one required math class passed. Ouch). And over the course of my college career I've only changed my major twice. The first time I changed from Elementary Ed to Dental Hygiene because I let myself be talked into it by a girl that was really convincing. So, I worked at a dentist's office for about nine months and decided that I didn't want to be hunched over, flossing people's teeth all day. Back to Education it was, only this time I opted for Secondary English Ed. The only problem is that you have to jump through some flaming hoops in order to get an Education degree. It just seems that it takes so much work and that I'll end up doing something that pays less most jobs.

Not that it's all about the money...

I'm not trying to come across as materialistic, but I believe that teachers are some of the hardest working and least paid professionals out there. So, lately I've been pondering the idea of graduating with a degree in English with a minor in Psychology. That brings me to the difficult part- what about a job... Well, recently a friend told me about a school in Tulsa that offers a condensed Master's degree program for counseling. It's only one night a week for two years. It's been at the forefront of my mind lately. The possibility to help people weed through some of the things that hold them back would be amazing. But, is this what I really want to do- or am I letting myself be influenced by someone else's ideas again? I just don't know.
At the moment, I've been staying home with sweet little Ava and I have to admit, it's been really nice to not work. My dream would be to stay home with my kids until they are school age and then figure out what to do with me. All I really want is to tap into that creativity that I just know is inside me. And make money doing it. I would love nothing more than to express myself, care for my children, and help other people all while experiencing the fullness of joy that is to be had. I mean, I love Bath and Body Works, but that is not a career...

So, what then?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated- there are people out there who know me well enough to give me objective "hints" and ideas...
cass

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey, i got my first job offer today, and i haven't even created a resume yet or started applying. keep your head up, any degree is a good degree.

Ricky said...

a friend of mine majored in english and came out the other end just fine. he works for national review magazine in NY and reviews movies for a living, as well as writing political commentary.

another english major (this one female) works in senator jim bunning's (R-KY) office in DC and writes speeches.

another one is professor at UK (grad degree of course). another one is a massage therapist. another writes children's books.

it's a new world out there for creativity, cass- the internet is a good way to flex your writing muscles and experiment, and even to make a name for yourself. there's been lots of people over the past few years who became famous for their blog and were later paid to do it, or wrote a book, or sold articles, or whatever. you love the written word. maybe spend some time reading people who have made names for themselves blogging. write a book.

summary: in the world we live in today, the barriers preventing your success are dissipating. the sky's the limit m'dear.

cassidy ann said...

They say that English majors are the most consistant money-makers of all the degrees... Guess we'll see